Thursday, February 7, 2013

02-07-2013 - Airport Loop on Touring Bike, New Schwalbys

Miles: 20.1
Time: 1:54:29
Elevation: 447
Average Speed: 10.5
Max Speed: 21.5

Airport Loop on touring bike with new Schwalby Marathon Plus tires. Nice afternoon with a brisk wind. It got chilly near the end of the ride.

The tires came this morning. in spite of what I read in online reviews they were not hard to mount at all. I have 22mm touring rims from Harris/Sheldon brown and the tires are 700 x 35. Smaller sizes and narrower rims may be a different story.

The tires are heavy, stiff and solid. They have a good reflective sidewall strips. The replaced a pair of Kenda "semi-slicks". The rear Kenda is almost dead after less than 1k miles, about 470 with a 35-40 pound touring load. The front is still good enough that I will take it on tour as a spare/backup. On the bike the Marathons give a harsher ride but the roll feels better. I am pleased.

The bike is ready to tour. I got it naked except for the tire pump and it weighed 38.0 pounds. I think I have everything I need to go except for a few food items. Perhaps tomorrow I will get out everything on my list and see if it will all fit on the bike and how to best pack it.

No comments:

Post a Comment