Monday, February 18, 2013

02-18-2013 - Test Ride on Tour Bike with 50 LB Load

Miles: 25.6
Time: 2:51:07
Elevation: 538
Average Speed: 9.0
Max Speed: 22.5

In the Boonies with 50 Pounds of Luggage on Board

Beautiful afternoon for a ride in spite of the 5-10 E to S to SE wind. The bike performed well. After a few hundred yards the load on the front is hardly noticeable. After you accept the fact that you are going to travel between 6 and 10 MPH a good part of the time riding a rig like this becomes a real joy, especially on a nice warm day. This is not a setup for people on a tight schedule with places to go and things to do and see in a hurry.

The Dyno Hub/Biologic Recharge Unit and Battery/Phone setup worked pretty well on this ride. I left home with the battery full, the phone at 94% and plugged into the battery and Strava running with the screen off. When I got home the phone was still at 91% and the battery shows a full charge.

I received my Opteka Thin Solar Charger this morning. It can be charged via USB or solar power. I had it on the USB charger until I left for the ride. It did not reach a fully charged state even though the LED's said it was full. I tethered it to the bike and every time I looked at it is was charging. When I got home I put it back on USB and it topped out in about 30 minutes. I am attempting to top off the phone with it now. I will report later on the results. I need to devise a way to hold it on the bike in a fully exposed position.

Hopefully between the Biologic setup and the solar unit I will be able to run Strava as far as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment