Sunday, December 14, 2014

2014-12-10 - Twentynine Palms to Sheephole Wilderness Camp

Strava

Bike: Tour
Miles: 41.6
Start Time 11:07
Moving Time: 4:32:33
Elevation(Ft): 1286
Avg Spd(M): 9.1
Max Spd(M): 26.4
Temp Out:
Temp In:

After a lot of angst about the weather and touring at this time of year in general I decided to take a shot at my planned tour to the low desert and packed the bike last night. This morning I finished the details, took a shower, shut down the trailer and left home about 11:00. My plan was to take an easy ride east and see where I ended up. I thought 35-30 miles would be plenty but the ride was less taxing than I anticipated and I made 41 miles with no problem. I could have made the 45 to Sheephole Valley Road where I have camped two times previously but when I saw a suitable spot about 4 miles short I decided to take it as daylight was running out. I stopped and set up camp, ate some canned food and got into the tent and sleeping bag about 6:00 knowing I had a long night ahead.

I wrote a few notes on my tablet then started dozing. At about 7:00 and again at 8:00 I had nasty episodes of cramps and spasms of the big muscles in the back of my thighs. They were intense enough to wake me up and cause me to wonder if I might be having some kind of strange heart attack.I believe I have read of such symptoms. At 7:00 I took an electrolyte capsule with some water. At 8:00 I took two capsules and washed them down with a bottle of water with an electrolyte tablet dissolved in it. The tablets are a sweetened mix which fizz up when put in water. I have been avoiding them in my effort to stop ingesting artificial sweeteners. The capsules are the same basic mix unsweetened. This dose seemed so resolve the situation and I only had a few twinges the rest of the night. This was all poor electrolyte management I am sure. I had ridden 41 miles with one 24 ounce bottle of water and one 12 ounce Coke. Hardly prudent. I will be more careful tomorrow.

I woke up at 4:00 and wrote more notes. It was a warm night, warmer outside than on the ground in the tent. I wanted to find my bike computer to check the temperature but could not find it in my handlebar bag even after taking everything out at least twice.

When I first got in the tent I plugged my phone into my new lithium USB battery. It took the phone from 15% to fully charged in about an hour and still showed a full charge. Very good! Theoretically it will charge the phone completely 6 times.

I finally got back to sleep and slept until 8:00. All in all a good day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment