Friday, September 7, 2012

09/06/2012 Out and About by Touring Bike

Miles: 23.7
Time: 2:28:56
Elevation: 535
Average Speed: 9.6
Max Speed: 347.

Rode touring bike on usual loop to Pinto Mountain Road, 29 Palms Airport, Park HQ then home through downtown. There is still a lot of dirt on Valley Vista and Pinto Mountain. The touring bike with its 35 mm tires handled it much better than the road bike.

Per my log I have not ridden this bike since July 25 and I had forgotten what a smooth relaxed machine it is. Part of the experience is due to the geometry, seating, bar position and butter smooth drive train and part of it is the awareness when you get on that you are not going anywhere in a hurry so you might as well relax and enjoy the ride.

This ride was the occasion to test the new fenders and the Keen sandals. I did have some issues with fender adjustment. I stopped a couple of times to make adjustments to the struts. As I was coming down Park Avenue on the way home I just finished congratulated myself on having worked the fender issues out I hit a big bump and knocked the rear completely out of kilter. I had to stop and tweak it again. I may end up having to Locktite it all. I noticed the right rear strut screw is not tight at the bottom eyelet. It is inside the dropouts and next to the cassette and there is no room for a regular hex wrench. I will either have to take the wheel off to tighten it or find a very short allen wrench. I do not relish taking the wheel off of this bike because of the rack and and extra dirty chain and now the fender to complicate things more.

The left sandal seems to have aggravated my already existing blisters on the bottom of the foot. I think some or all of the problem is due to the mediocre socks I wore. I will try again with some decent bike socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment