Sunday, September 30, 2012

10/03/2012 - Airport Loop on Road Bike

Miles: 25.6
Time: 1:54:50
Elevation: 608
Average Speed: 13.4
Max Speed: 37.2

Beautiful cool morning ride. About 82 when I left and 92 when I returned. Mild NW breeze. Still some pretty deep dirt on Pinto Mountain Road but I have learned how to get through it on 1" tires, just keep pedaling.

I put water bottles in freezer to cool while I got ready. When I got almost to Goodwin Road, 11 miles out, I realized I had no water. I was dried out by the time I got to park Headquarters at mile 20.2. I was lucky it was a cool day. This could be a nightmare on a 100 degree day.

A week ago I put knobby tires back on Fuji mountain bike. I also took off steering tube extender and adjustable stem and put stock stem back on which lowers the bars about 4 inches. Bike is all stock now except for rear rack.

Yesterday I replaced the steering tube extender and short heavy stem on the road bike with the adjustable stem I had on the Fuji. This raised the bars slightly and moved them back closer to me and got rid of several ounces. All to my liking.

Today I received a little device my buddy Doug discovered. It is called a Cue Clip. It is a Velcro strap with a spring loaded clip on one end which wraps around the handlebar and gives one a place to securely clip a route map or description. In the past I have kept turn by turn directions in my back pocket and had to try to drag them out and study them without falling down or getting run over. This device promises to make the task much easier and safer. It barely shows in photo just inside of the right bar tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment