Monday, June 10, 2013

2013-06-10 - Airport Loop on Road Bike

Miles: 22.3
Start Time: 18:05
Moving Time: 1:48:48
Elevation: 409
Average Speed: 12.3
Max Speed: 25.7
Temp Out: 98
Temp In: 88

Set out into a pretty strong SW wind. Once I got to the corner it was a pleasure to go down Adobe and east on Valley Vista and Amboy. I had to pay coming back but it was worth it. I felt so much better than I did Saturday I did not really mind the headwind. Maybe getting rid of the infection in my jaw is starting to pay off. It makes me wonder if I need to get serious about getting rid of the other broken off molar even though it apparently is not infected to the degree this one was.

I finished the antibiotics this morning so expect to feel better each day for a time assuming I avoid the nasty antibiotic resistant diarrhea that can come as a result of using them. The risk exists for several months after finishing the course. I do not expect to have the problem but who can say with certainty?

Received contacts of correct prescription and new sunglasses this afternoon. After only a few hours I can tell the contacts are superior to the set with no astigmatism correction. The problem is the price. Online these lenses cost $150 for a box of 6 so it is $300 for 6 months if there are no accidents, loss or tearing, etc. I think that is out of my price range. The options are of course glasses or contacts that either correct the astigmatism or the presbyopia but not both. Glasses are a couple of hundred and will last for several years and the two contact options are roughly $80 per 6 month period. This is a dissapointment. I could have pushed the doc harder to give me a ball park number before I got into this bind. I will talk to them to see if they can get the good ones cheaper before I give up though.

The new shades are "Photochromatic" and as far as I can see it works pretty well. I have never had this feature before and it is much cheaper to try it out on a pair of cheap sunglasses than on a pair of prescription progressive eyeglass lenses. I have watched too many people with photochromatic glasses come in the house not be able to see for about 20 minutes while the things get clear. These shades are not too fast to change but they are not so dark to start with. Maybe a realistic solution to my vision issues is a good quality pair of sunglasses with a prescription lens holder with progressive lenses (I see this option on the Internet) and a pair of plain old fashioned progressive glasses to wear indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment