Sunday, October 21, 2012

10/21/2012 Airport Loop on Road Bike

Miles: 22.5
Time: 1:37:34
Elevation: 411
Average Speed: 13.8
Max Speed: 26.1

The usual airport loop. I bought a Hammer Nutrition Gel Bottle at a bike shop in Temecula last week. This morning I mixed up a batch of a basic recipe I found on Active.com:

7 1/2 Tbs Honey
1 Tsp Molasses
1/10 Tsp Table Salt

This made about 4 oz. I was concerned that it would cause me to have sugar problems but it worked fine. The molasses must moderate the sugar uptake to some extent. I consumed the bottle in 3 approximately even servings at miles 7.5, 14.5 and 20. I also drank a bottle of water with a cola flavored Nunn tablet dissolved in it at mile 14.5. The tablet is an electrolyte mix with a small dose of caffeine in it. I felt good the entire ride and the goo and drink account for at least some of it. The nice cool fall weather (high 70's) helped too. I will experiment with other recipes. There are many on the web but most require exotic ingredients I do not keep on hand such as dextrose, brown rice syrup, guava syrup and so on.

After riding the loaded touring bike for 180 miles last week the road bike feels like a jet plane. I am considering repeating my loop of last spring to Indio via Cottonwood Springs and Mecca and home through Palm Springs, Morongo and Yucca Valleys. I will do it on the road bike with my new clamp on seat post rack and a very minimal load, a change of clothes for evening wear and some Coke and water and a few bike repair supplies and tools.

I am still itching to get out and do a longer tour on the tour bike but this is not the right time of year to start for Florida and I am still short a few pieces of gear I need to go, a decent tent, a front rack and a second set of panniers for better weight distribution and more storage space.

No comments:

Post a Comment