Saturday, December 8, 2012

12-08-2012 - Airport Loop/Park Kiosk/Adobe

Miles: 31.0
Time: 2:37:01
Elevation: 1406
Average Speed: 11.8
Max Speed: 35.6

I set out to do the airport loop and ended up doing quite a bit more including changing a tube at the far east of the ride on Goodwin Road. When I first noticed the flat I stopped and pumped it up hoping for the best. I made it about 3/4 mile before it was flat again. It worked out well because the supports for the sign I leaned the bike on made a pretty good work bench. I found a pretty long thorn in the tire.

I used for the first time the new mini-pump I purchased several months ago. I bought it for the touring bike which has lower pressure tires but the tip screws onto the valve stem and the tubes I am using on that bike have no threads so I relegated it to the road bike. I was able to get 100 pounds into the tire without too much effort (I checked when I got home). That is OK for the front on a local ride but not good enough for the rear especially if far from home. I normally run 125 on this bike and 100 in the touring bike. The pump is rated at 100 PSI. It is made by Zefal and is 7.5" long and about 7/8" in diameter. I found it at the Walmart Supercenter in Palm Desert for about $11.00.

I have a Topeak Road Morph G "Master Blaster" pump on the touring bike currently and will take it on any extended tour regardless of valve stem type. It will go to about 160 pounds, it has a hose with a conventional Schrader/Presta lever clamped head, a gauge, a folding "T" handle and a folding foot pad which makes it in effect a mini-floor pump. It is a bit heavy but its utility and versatility justify carrying it.

When I got to park HQ I decided to go up the hill a way to see how it felt and to play it by ear and turn around when it felt like the thing to do. Of course once such a project is started it ids hard to turn back so I ground it out to the North Entrance. It was a nice cool climb as I got into the shade about 1/2 way up. It was uncomfortably cool coming down. It was shaded almost all the way back to the HQ. I was glad to get into the sun again although I had wool arm warmers and jacket sleeves with me.

A nice ride all things considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment