Monday, December 3, 2012

12-03-2012 Lear Road Loop on Road Bike

Miles: 19.2
Time: 1:29:42
Elevation: 748
Average Speed: 12.8
Max Speed: 36.8

A nice afternoon ride to the West with an East wind. It all went well. When I got home my new Arkel front rack and neoprene booties had arrived a day early via UPS.

I tried the booties on and they are too tight to zip on the road shoes but work fine on the touring sandals which is what I bought them for.

I tried the booties on and they are too tight to zip up the back with the road shoes although they will be usable for warmth if not rain. They fit and will work fine on the touring sandals which is what I bought them for.

At first glance it was not clear how the rack would mount on the bottom eyelets with the fender strut mounts. Arkel supplied 25 and 45MM bolts. The 25s were too short to go through the rack, spacers, fender strut holders and the eyelets. The 45s were way too long. After experimenting with several options for placement of the fender struts I decided they would only fit properly on the bottom of the pile, next to the fork eyelets. I did not relish the idea of putting the rack on top of the plastic fender strut holders but decided it would probably work fine as the plastic is quite hard and sturdy. I got our the Dremel tool and cut 1/2" off each 45mm bolt then bolted everything on with no particular problem. The installation looks good and I think it will work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment