Thursday, July 11, 2013

2013-07-11 - Herondo Street to Marina Del Rey and Return

Kilometers: 32.8
Start Time: 13.15
Moving Time: 1:36:35
Elevation(M): 28
Average Speed(KPH): 20.4
Max Speed(KPH): 32.0
Temp Out: 75
Temp In: 75

After being off the bike for 2 weeks I was not sure what to expect but this ride went very well. It is almost flat and there was no significant wind factor in either direction and it was overcast and pleasantly cool. Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos.

This is my first metric ride. After my cousin Bill mentioned the fact that the Imperial system contributes to many measurement errors I did a bit of research and decided to switch myself to metric where I can do so without causing too much disruption in my life. After all we are one of only 3 countries in the world still not on the metric system and the other two probably do not have indoor plumbing (cell phones, Hi-Def TV and I-Pods but no toilets or TP). Bicycle and car travel are two areas where I can use metric units without causing myself much grief. I switched my Strava account to Metric and converted my tracking spreadsheet to metric and will soon change my bike computer to use and display metric units along with the GPS app I use in the car. When I get home I will switch my other bike computers and that will be it. Now the trick is to learn to think metric. It is now @3200 KM to my buddies house in Florida instead of 2000 miles. It is 40 KM to Walmart from my home instead of 25 miles. Same trips but different numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment