Friday, July 26, 2013

2013-07-26 - Airport Loop on a Warm and Cloudy Morning

Kilometers: 36.1
Start Time: 10:20
Moving Time: 1:48:40
Elevation(M): 126
Average Speed(KPH): 19.9
Max Speed(KPH): 38.9
Temp Out: 91
Temp In: 95

This is my first ride on this loop since June 12. My goal today was to survive the ride with minimal trauma in hopes that I will do it again in 2 days. I did survive and time will tell about the level of trauma. I took it easy and I feel OK for now.

This day was unusual in that there was almost no air movement at all until I encountered a very light east breeze on Amboy Road almost out to Goodwin Road. It was very obvious once I turned onto Highway 62 going west. It got very quiet and much warmer. The only sounds were the bike noise, my pores squeezing out sweat and me sobbing quietly.

Turning the cleat on my left sandal seems to have mostly eliminated the problem I was having with that foot, a sore spot/blister on the outside bottom of the ball. The only issue with the sandals now is the normal hot spots one gets especially on warm days and they are much less a problem in sandals than in any shoes I have used.

The insulated water bottle has been working well. I leave the house with Heed or Fizz in it and and take a frozen bottle conventional bottle as backup. By the time the drink mix is gone the other bottle is thawed enough to start drinking from.

Below is a photo of the cheap stand I got to hold the road bike upright in the house. It is a big improvement over leaning the bike on the other bikes which leads to minor disasters from time to time (the other two bikes in the pictures have kickstands as uncool as that may be).

No comments:

Post a Comment