Sunday, August 4, 2013

2013-08-04 - Airport Loop on Road Bike

Kilometers: 37.6
Start Time: 12:40
Moving Time: 2:09:34
Elevation(M): 149
Avg Speed(KPH): 17.4
Max Speed(KPH): 53.6
Avg Cadence: 71
Avg HR: 110 Max HR: Temp Out: 97
Temp In: 103

In spite of my remarks a few days ago I went out in the noon sun. It was "only" 97 when I started and the forecast was for no 100 until 2:00. I also slathered on the sunscreen which I am sure helped.

I got about a mile out and realized I had left my 24 oz bottle of Fizz water on the counter. Fortunately I had put a 21 oz bottle in my jersey pocket to augment the 2 24 oz bottles I intended to carry on the frame. I decided to go for it with 45 oz instead of the intended 69 oz. I had taken 24 oz. of plain water before leaving the house. I did not feel a lack of liquid on the ride although I would have consumed more if I had had it.

Had a brisk E wind out to the airport. While I was standing at the airport it shifted to due S but fortunately moved back to SE to help me over the hump back to town. As is often the case when I came down the hill to Utah Trail and town the wind became a strong SW. I do not understand the wind patterns here. Very often the wind is blowing from a different direction at any point I go to a few miles from my home.

Cadence: I have not had cadence readout on my computer since September of 2012. I got it going again and this is the first ride with it.

Heart Rate: The HR sensor quit in June of 2012. I just stopped worrying about it but now I find myself wanting it again. I have been fooling with it for a few days and finally got the computer to recognize and register the strap early this AM. It still would not display a pulse but I wore it anyway today and after leaving the airport I noticed it was displaying a number that looked believable. It was intermittently on and off but I believe the average number is close enough to be useful to see how I am doing.

My HR was in the high 140s coming up the grade from the airport. That is probably 10 BPM higher than I was recording in the past but I have noticed that high temps add beats. The average cadence number is 4-5 RPM higher than last year which is a good sign because for me it takes more aerobic capacity to run a higher cadence. This implies that my aerobic condition has improved over the past year even though my average speed has diminished. Long bouts of high cadence low speed riding are often a requirement on tour so I am headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment