Friday, August 23, 2013

2013-08-23 - Pinto Mt. Loop on Road Bike

Miles: 14.4
Start Time: 09:15
Moving Time: 1:19:23
Elevation(Ft): 161
Avg Speed(MPH): 10.8
Max Speed(MPH): 28.4
Avg Cadence: 68
Avg HR: 105
Max HR: 125
Temp Out: 85
Temp In: 90

I cut it short today. Last night at 10:30 I discovered I had made the rare mistake of not taking my pills in the morning, including my BP med. I decided to skip the others and take the BP only. Not the best plan. It is a diuretic and I had to get up three times between 2:00 and 8:00 to pee big time. On the bright side my weight looked respectable when I got up at 8:00. The other result of taking the stuff at night seems to be that my heart did not want to go at all today. The rate was only 95 after 2 miles and it took 6 miles to get up into the 70% zone (105+). The only reason the average is 105 is that I lost the HR data (stepped too far from the bike for too long) at about the half way point where I took the above picture and it stayed up a bit the second half. I did not take this morning's BP pill until I got home from the ride. There was also an ugly 5-10 E wind for the duration.

As an aside, just barely visible through the bush to the right of the street sign pole in the picture above is Dick Dale's house. He is a 50's rock musician who is credited with being the father of Surf Music. His most famous piece if titled "Miserlou" and got a second wind when it was used in the movie "Pulp Fiction". He is in his 70s and still tours. His house and "Airpark" are labeled clearly on Google Maps.

Yesterday afternoon it started raining at 14:05. I noted the time and expected it to last the usual 15-20 minutes but it came down very hard for 45 minutes and continued to sprinkle for another 5-10 minutes. Some hail and intense wind came mixed with the rain part of the time. I have never seen hail here before. The temperature dropped from 101 to 91 in the first few minutes then after about 20 minutes stood at 81. It popped back to 85 almost a soon as the rain stopped. Pretty impressive!

The power went out after the rain and stayed out until 17:00. I expected to find some of the roads in bad shape today but apparently it only rained over the RV park. This is the reverse of what has often happened in the past when it has rained heavily 2-4 miles to the NE and hardly at all here.

This is the second rain which left water inside the trailer door. I do not know if it came from the door or around the swamp cooler. I could make a better baffle for the cooler. The one I have is made of Masonite and does not suffer water well. It swells up and warps and pulls away from the window. My floor is cheap composite material and does not handle water well either.

I put a new chain on the road bike and adjusted the drive train yesterday. I rode it around the park and it is shifting much better although I noticed today that there are still some issues with the front derailleur.

I passed a snake on the edge of the pavement on Valle Vista today. From his size and the "S" configuration he was lounging in I took him to be a sidewinder. I circled back to look and he was a cute pink snake of some variety, not a pit viper. It is just as well because I went by a few inches from his head and a frightened sidewinder might have taken a shot at my leg. I wonder if he was pink because he had just changed his skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment