Saturday, January 25, 2014

2014-01-24 - Baseline nd Mesquite Springs on Road Bike

Miles: 12.6
Start Time: 10:07
Moving Time: 1:01:57:49
Elevation(Ft): 426
Avg Speed(MPH): 12.2
Max Speed(MPH): 32.7
Avg Cadence: 70
Avg HR: N/A
Max HR: N/A
Temp Out: 56
Temp In: 61

I am writing this on 1/25 because the Wifi was down most of the time I was home yesterday. Yesterday was a cloudy and cool morning with almost no breeze. I decided to start flying my farm triangle. I saw one on a bike a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a good idea. I came across mine and put it on. I used it on tour so why not use it in town? Some might think it a bit much but I do not think there is ever too much when it comes to being seen. The potential down side is that it could annoy some people and provoke them to do stupid things but I think (hope) it is worth that small risk to get the extra visibility.

Two days ago I read an article in the NY Times about "diet" apps. I put "My Fitness Pal" (free) on my phone. The user enters personal stats and selects a weight loss goal and the app calculates the required daily calorie intake to reach the goal in 5 weeks. It may get old in time but it is an interesting exercise for now. You basically enter the foods you eat at each meal along with snacks and also tell it how much of which exercise you did and it gives a daily total and tells you how you are doing with respect to the goal weight loss. It has a feature which uses the phone camera to scan bar codes on food packages which makes the data entry part more interesting plus it builds a data base of foods frequently used which will make it easier and easier to use over time. I am not interested in "dieting" per se but I can use this thing to make me more mindful of what I eat and how much.

A good "for instance" is that I woke up in the middle of the night last night and got up. Around 3-4:00 I decided to have Ramen noodles. I got out the usual 2 packs and scanned them. I was surprised to find that two packs equal 760 calories about 250 of which is fat. I cooked and ate them anyway but next time I will see if one pack will work. I also had 4 ounces each of yogurt and applesauce, total 920 calories or over half of my daily allocation of 1760. What I have found after 2 days is that on the day I rode I could eat about what satisfied me and meet the calorie goal but on the off day I went over. I may have to start riding or walking more days or go back to 25 mile, 2 hour rides. The good news is that I am not hungry now at 10:30 AM So I might make it through the day within the 1760 limit, especially if I take a ride or walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment