Tuesday, February 11, 2014

2014-02-11 - Lucky Park Loop on Single Speed

Miles: 8.3
Start Time 4:21
Moving Time: 48:41
Elevation(Ft): 98
Avg Spd(M): 10.2
Max Spd(M): 22.1
Temp Out: 70
Temp In: 68

I did two warmup laps in the park then rode up to Luckie Park and around the block then did 2 more laps here. It is a beautiful spring evening in February.

I have been experimenting the last week or so with alternate forms of bicycle attire with the idea in mind of being able to wear less geeky clothing on tour. I have had two pairs of Pearl Izumi padded liner shorts for some time. I wore them under a pair of cheap basketball type shorts on the first two days of my tour to Temecula in the fall of 2012. The combination did not work. I had not worn them since. I have been wearing the liners under a pair of Levi cargo shorts and that has worked well on the short rides I have been taking and with the single speed seat and fit. This evening I tried a pair of Columbia nylon cargo shorts with the liner and it did not seem to be as comfortable as the Levi/liner combo. Tomorrow I will wear the Levi's again to see if the nylon pants were really the problem. It would be nice to use nylon or another thin synthetic as it would be much more comfortable and serviceable if wet. I will try another pair of nylon shorts I own in a few days to see if they are better. Once I decide which shorts seem to work I will break out the tour bike and wear the rig on a 25 or so mile test ride. If that works I may try the setup on tour with my Lycra bike shorts along as backup of course.

I also have two synthetic polo shirts I bought at Costco several years ago. I have almost never worn the as street clothing so I decided to try them as a top to wear with the cargo shorts. They work well although they may be a bit too heavy for warmer days.

The tires and grips for the Roadmaster project mountain bike came yesterday. I spent a couple of pleasant hours this afternoon changing the tires, putting on the grips and adjusting the shifters and brake levers and tweaking the shifting. Both bikes are ready to take to LA although the Roadmaster still needs a rear brake cable. I will take them this weekend and get the cable on the way if not before. The Roadmaster is low quality and I hope we did not throw good money after bad. It does look pretty good though. Time will tell if is has any legs.

You can see in the pictures what the sun and wind have done to the back of my golf cart cover. It rips and falls apart at the slightest touch. I put the green tarp under the cover in an attempt to keep some dirt out. I recently turned the cart around, the back had been facing south for several years. The cart is another project. It needs about $600 of new batteries and about $200 of tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment