Wednesday, February 12, 2014

2014-02-12 - Around Park on Single Speed. Pants Testing

Ride 1:

Miles: 7.8
Start Time 11:40
Moving Time: 50:16
Elevation(Ft): 0
Avg Spd(M): 9.3
Max Spd(M): 13.9
Temp Out: 70
Temp In: 72

Ride 2:

Miles: 3.6
Start Time 5:00
Moving Time: 24:10
Elevation(Ft): 0
Avg Spd(M): 8.9
Max Spd(M): 14.2
Temp Out: 68
Temp In: 68

I went out with the intention of screwing around inside the park for 20-30 minutes but as usual it turned into a more energetic ride than I planned.

I started out in Pearl Izumi liner shorts under Levi cargo shorts, a different pair that I have been using. They do not work well as the crotch is too long and bunched up on the front of the seat. This pair is a rugged work pant and the previous are a more casual pair. After about 4 miles I decided to try some other shorts. First I tried my other pair of nylon hiking shorts which is a fairly expensive Mountain Hardwear product. They were better than the Levi's I exchanged for them but not so hot. Next I tried an old pair of cheap zip-off pants (legs off). I hoped these would be good because it would be nice to have the dual use feature on a tour where luggage space is finite. They were better than both previous pairs but not ideal. Finally I fished the original Levi's from prior days out of the laundry and tried them and they were the most comfortable by a pretty good margin. The tests did not work out the way I would prefer but it is OK. Next I will try the same drill on the tour bike, different seat and seating position. It may come out the same or completely different.

This afternoon I will attempt to true the wheels on the Roadmaster bike and try to dial in the shifting a bit more. I may do another ride this evening.

Update (8:00 PM):

I ended up going grocery shopping and getting a pedicure instead of bike work this afternoon. I went out on the mountain bike around 5:00 for a brief ride before dark. I did not use the single speed because I have had no luck getting the bottom bracket bearings to stay adjusted. I thought I would open it up and pack more grease in before I went shopping. When I backed off the retainer balls started falling out along with chunks of the bearing retainer rings. Obviously I did something wrong when I installed it, apparently reversing the bearings. I read the instructions several times and thought I understood but apparently not. I am glad the bearing and cup kit was only $10.00.

A few minutes ago I finished ordering a converter sleeve, a sealed bottom bracket and a single speed crank.I did not want to do this at this time but it seems necessary if I am to continue using the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment