Monday, February 24, 2014

2014-02-24 - Around Park on New Vilano Frame Build

Morning
Miles: 5.5
Start Time 3:30
Moving Time: 0:35:
Elevation(Ft): 0
Avg Spd(M):
Max Spd(M):
Temp Out: 77
Temp In: 77

Evening
Miles: 5.1
Start Time 5:20
Moving Time: 26:06
Elevation(Ft): 0
Avg Spd(M): 11.7
Max Spd(M): 21.6
Temp Out: 68
Temp In: 68

The new frame arrived about 11:00 AM. I unboxed it and began to put it together. I did not expect the seatpost and clamp so that was a happy surprise:

I pulled the headset cups in using my homemade tool then assembled the fork, headset, spacers and stem. I discovered that the shim I had in the box with my Fuji stem was not fat enough to make the switch from a 25.4 bar to 31.8. I put on the seat and post, the cranks and the chain and wheels (Fixie) then went to Joshua Tree to see what I could find at the little bike shop there. He had a serviceable 31.8 bar. I also got a pair of brake levers even though I had no brakes at that time and a modestly priced set of grips. As soon s I got home and put the bars on I took the bike out and tried it as a "Fixie" (fixed gear, no coasting, the pedals are turning if the bike is rolling). I went about 30 yards and could see this was not the way to go at least at this moment. I came in and turned the rear wheel around to the freewheel side and decided to take the front brake from my road bike temporarily. By 3:30 I was ready to take the bike for a real ride which I did, 5 laps around the park. Unfortunately I had put the computer on the bar but neglected to put the sender on the fork and the Veloroid app on my phone went nuts so the stats are based on time and similar rides in the past. I stopped at least once to take photos. I figured I better get them while it is all new and pretty.

After I finished the ride I went to check my mail and the new brakes were here even though they were not to arrive until Wednesday. I went out at 5:20 for an evening ride and did 5.1 miles including a run down Amboy Road to Utah, up to the water dispensing area and back to and down Diamondbar to the end and back to the park for a few more laps. The weather is beautiful these days.

When I finished I put the road bike brake back where it belongs and mounted the new one on the Vilano (the white matches the wheel hubs):

It is very nice to ride a bike that stops well again. The brakes on the Murray have been marginal at best.

Update:

The frame and fork with bottom bracket weigh 10 pounds which is not light but it is fine for a bike of this nature. The finished bike is 26 pounds which is not bad for a fitness and recreational bike. The Murray weighed about 32 as a single speed (with the 700c tires and wheels that are on the Vilano now) so this frame is at least 6 pounds ligher.

No comments:

Post a Comment