Thursday, March 6, 2014

2014-03-06 - Luckie Park Loop on Vilano SS with New 20 Tooth Freewheel

Miles: 7.4
Start Time 3:56
Moving Time: 0:43:29
Elevation(Ft): 170
Avg Spd(M): 10.2
Max Spd(M): 24.2
HR Avg(BPM): 108
HR Max(BPM): 130
Temp Out: 70
Temp In: 75

Above is the stock 16 tooth freewheel after I got it off using an article on the Park Tool web site titled, "Destructive Freewheel Removal." Non-destructive Removal seems to require the proper "pin spanner" wrench which I do no have and did not want to pay $16 and wait several days for. The new wheel has splines which will make removal with the proper tool an easy task. If I decide to change cog size again I will buy the tool and another freewheel of the desired size.

Old 16 tooth freewheel with pin spanner indents (beaten up pretty badly by my efforts with a center punch):

Photo of a 16 tooth version of the new freewheel with splines for removal tool showing:

I also installed new motorcycle type chain adjusters. These hold the axle in the proper spot and make chain adjustment relatively easy although it is a bit of a problem on this frame because the chain stays are splayed outward perhaps to enable the use of various size wheel hubs. The standard single speed wheel hub size is 120 mm but it looks like using 125 or 130 mm road bike wheel would be no problem.

Chain tensioners and new 20 tooth freewheel:

The evening ride to Luckie Park was nice. After a brief warmup period of a few hundred yards my knees did not hurt any more which is a huge improvement over the constant pain I have been having with the 16 tooth cog. I was able to make the last block of Joe Davis up to Desert Knoll (5-9%). I was not even willing to try it on the 16 tooth cog. My legs were already trashed when I got to Marine Ave. at the bottom of the steep block.

I also redid the bottom bracket of the Murray and put the chain back on and gave it to my neighbor Mark. He seems very happy to have it and I am just as happy to have it gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment