Tuesday, March 11, 2014

2014-03-11 - Baseline/Mesquite Springs Loop on Vilano SS

Miles: 12.3
Start Time 1:12
Moving Time: 1:04:32
Elevation(Ft): 518
Avg Spd(M): 11.4
Max Spd(M): 26.8
HR Avg(BPM): 99
HR Max(BPM): 124
Temp Out: 70
Temp In: 73

Tired quads today. I guess they have been hammered the last few days. I could use a day off but then I would have to take a day of no or not enough food too. An overcast day, cool at the top on Baseline. N wind.

Yesterday I reassembled the original 16 tooth freewheel I disassembled to get it off the wheel. In the process I dropped the stack of internal spacers on the floor. I thought I had them all but found a straggler later. It is a bit tight without it. Eventually I will open it up and put the orphan back in place. I have no plans to ever use it again but who can say? This morning the complimentary replacement Pure Fixie sent me arrived. It is a higher quality item than the original. It makes me wonder if the wheels are really from Pure Fixie. You will notice it has proper splines for removal but of course in a pattern different than the ACS 20 tooth unit I am running now. New on left:

Last night after some inner debate about what to do I finally decided to go all in and convert to a 3/32 drive. I could have purchased a 20 tooth 1/8" freewheel and a new 1/8" chain for about the same price as the new 3/32 chain wheel and chain I ordered but I decided that I believe those who say 3/32 chain is of better quality. This morning I adjusted the chain to proper spec, 1/2" total up and down movement, and heard no more than a small creak out of it on today's ride. I also measured the chain and it appears that it has no significant stretch in spite of feeling as loose as a goose. I can probably ride the bike as it it indefinitely but assuming the new chain wheel fits on my crank spider I will make the switch and then had a completely matched system (the existing 20 tooth freewheel is 3/32").

No comments:

Post a Comment