Saturday, March 8, 2014

2014-03-08 - Leer Road Loop on Vilano Single Speed

Miles: 27.4
Start Time 12:49
Moving Time: 2:26:58
Elevation(Ft): 914
Avg Spd(M): 11.2
Max Spd(M): 28.2
HR Avg(BPM): 101
HR Max(BPM): 131
Temp Out: 71
Temp In: 73

Another beautiful spring day! I patched yesterdays puncture as soon as I got up this morning (it was a new hole, not a failure of last week's patch) then after some goofing off I hit the road. I stopped briefly at Luckie Park then headed up the hill on 2 Mile Road towards Lear Road. The climb from the park to the high point on 2 Mile is about 500 feet in 5 miles, about the max for me with this bike at least at present. The grades at the north end of Lear Road are actually steeper but shorter. From the top of the last grade on Lear I had a pleasant mostly downwind run home.

Although this was to be a knocking around bike I am riding it more seriously so I put my mountain bike pedals on it. If I am going to take it out for 20+ mile rides I may as well be as efficient and comfortable as possible:

It is a real challenge to get the rear wheel on straight given the flare of the chainstays/dropouts. I also was checking out the fork yesterday and noticed that it is very asymetrical (note that the right leg is much closer to the tire than the left and the brake is tilted). I plan to email the company it came from to see if these two items are "features" or if I received a dud. Neither issue is serious as far as I can tell but I am curious:

On the way down Pole Line Road:

Bad zoom shots of the base:

An interesting geological formation north of Two Mile Road (erosion or subsidence?):

No comments:

Post a Comment