Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Round Trip Hike on the Boy Scout Trail

Miles: 16.4
Start Time 10:46
Moving Time: 6:27:11
Elevation(Ft): 1704
Avg Spd(MPM): 23.38
Max Spd(MPM): 19:54

Dropping into the lower wash:

In the middle distance of the above photo a trail can be seen ascending a steep hill to a notch. This is a bypass of a waterfall or sieries of cascades on the right. On the first or second time I hiked this trail I missed the top of the bypass trail in the dusk coming down and came down through the waterfall. I was lucky it was passable. The danger is going down a section then finding one cannot get down the next fall and cannot get back up the way he came. In 2005 a PCT hiker died on Mount San Jacinto after getting lost in a snow storm and wandering into such a canyon which eventually drops into the Palm Springs area. He apparently became trapped. A year later a couple who had taken the tram up to the shoulder of San Jacinto and gotten lost in the same canyon found his pack and used his matches to light a fire which resulted in their rescue. His body was eventually located in a tree below a fall. You can read about it HERE.

This morning after getting up about 8:00 and goofing off for a couple of hours I finally got away about 10:30. After a quick drive to the trailhead I took a picture of the 15 pound pack and poles and the obligatory selfie and started walking:

The Happy (but not for long, I was soon enough the Beat and Tired Hiker) Hiker:

In my mind I divide the trail into several sections:

1. From the Indian Cove Trailhead across an Alluvial Fan to the Lower Wash (1.5 miles).
2. Up the Lower Wash to the base of the main climb (1.5 miles).
3. The Main Climb (1 mile).
4 The Upper Wash (.5 miles).
5. The Summit Plateau (1 mile).
6. The Alluvial Fans into Keys West (2.5 miles).

I had to keep throttling back for the first few miles because I know that if I go the speed I want to early on I will have huge "out of gas" issues later.

I ran the Strava app on my phone for this hike which allowed me to see accurate distance date en route. The drop into Lower Wash is at mile 1.5 which I expected but I was surprised to find that the bottom of the Main Climb is at mile 3.0. I always thought it was closer to 2.0. I guess the slog up the sandy wash is actually as long as it feels.

The Start of the Main Climb (the photo does not do it justice, some of the grade near the top is 25%):

A Flower Near the Trail:

After chugging up into the "Upper Wash" it was a mostly pleasant trudge to the Keys West trailhead at the far end of the hike. I did stop about 3 miles before Keys to get out a sandwich. I stopped again perhaps 1.5 miles out to take 3 Ibuprofen tablets. My knees, hips and feet were starting to be pretty uncomfortable. I could have gone the distance with no pain killers but it is more fun without the aches and pain.

Views in the Upper Wash:

A defunct Dam and Cattle Trough in the Upper Wash:

On the Summit Plateau:

Snow Capped Mount San Gorgonio (11,500'):

I met a group of LA seventh graders coming down when I was on the Main Climb. A second gaggle passed me when I stopped to get a sandwich out:

Keys West:

When I arrived at Keys West I would not have turned down a ride home but I knew my lot was to walk back so I sat down to rest and eat. After dallying for about 30 minutes and eating a banana, an orange, 2 dill pickle spears and about 2 ounces of peanuts I started the trudge back to the car. By now my leg joints and feet felt good which helped as I slogged up the hill back to the summit.

The northbound Trail from Keys West:

Near the Summit:

Headed North in the Upper Wash:

Final views into town and to the north from the last high point before dropping into last of the Main Climb and Lower Wash:

Coming Down the Waterfall Bypass into the Last Section of Lower Wash:

The Indian Cove neighborhood with the Marine Base in the Distance Taken About 1 Mile From the Car:

No comments:

Post a Comment