Wednesday, March 19, 2014

2014-03-19 - Here and There on Single Speed

Miles: 25.8
Start Time 1:20
Moving Time: 2:10:08
Elevation(Ft): 1080
Avg Spd(M): 11.9
Max Spd(M): 32.9
HR Avg(BPM):
HR Max(BPM):
Temp Out: 72
Temp In: 72

A beautiful warm afternoon. I rode up to JTNP HQ and visited briefly with an older couple from RI. The lady was riding a recumbent trike, a toad, two wheels in front. They had ridden up to the entrance station, no mean feat. I also chatted with another couple from Benecia who were preparing to ride up and west through the park then back from Joshua Tree to 29 Palms on Highway 62. I think 2:00 is a bit late to start a ride of about 55 miles with a 2500 foot climb in the first 11 miles but the man said they are strong bikers so I am sure they are doing well.

Since this was to be the first serious ride with the new slightly lower gearing (55 gear inches vs. 59) I had considered climbing up Utah 1/2 mile or so beyond baseline to try it out. I ended up going about triple that, 1.5 miles beyond Baseline. I turned around about 1/2 way between HQ and the entrance station. I think I could have made the entrance station but discretion is the better part of valor, especially on a single speed bike in the hills. I coasted back to Baseline and took it to Adobe Road then took Sullivan and Hatch to Highway 62 near Stater Brother's Market. From there I took Lupine, Sunnyslope and Encellia to 2 Mile Road. After some internal debate I tuned left on 2 Mile and went to Leer which I took to Indian Trail. From there it was Mesquite Spring, Raymond, Adobe and Amboy Roads home. A pleasant ride and a good leg workout.

The climb up Utah Trail was a good test because I have it in mind to ride the single speed on the reverse of what the Benicia couple is doing. It is 58 miles from my house and while the climb into the park coming east is not as brutal as the reverse there are some steep sections that will be very taxing on a one speed bike. Of course the elevation gain is the same but the bulk of it is spread out over about 32 miles instead of all being crammed into the first 14 miles. Walking the bike when needed is always an option too.

Note: My weight hit a low of 211 on 3/10. Since then it has been all up from there, as high as 215-16. This afternoon when I got home from the ride it was just under 209, 208.8. It was a temperate day and I do not feel particularly dehydrated. It makes no sense but I will take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment